There is even more to the original Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment case than we originally reported a few days ago. It appears that many powers at be have known about his lewd behavior for decades, yet did nothing to stop it. Their silence or refusal to take the allegations seriously can best be described as complicity. Here are some of the latest details.
- Ronan Farrow, NBC reporter, American activist, and son of actress Mia Farrow and Woody Allen, wrote an expose for the New Yorker accusing Weinstein of sexual harassment and multiple rapes.
- In a 10 month investigation, 13 women told Farrow they were sexually assaulted or harassed by Weinstein. Three women allege that he raped them.
- Asia Argento, an Italian actress, alleges that Weinstein forced himself on her and then performed oral sex on her. She says that she didn’t say anything because she was afraid what he would retaliate against her by ruining her career.
- Four of the women say that Weinstein exposed his genitals in front of them and then masturbated.
- Weinstein groped the breast of Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, a Filipino Italian model, an action that Weinstein openly admits (probably because there is an audio recording of the interaction.)
- Farrow originally brought the story to NBC but they didn’t want to publish it, perhaps because they were trying to protect Hollywood relationships.
- 16 of Weinstein’s employees told Farrow that they had knowledge of Weinstein’s inappropriate behavior towards young actresses and models. According to the executives, his behavior was widely known throughout Miramar and the Weinstein Company.
- A female employee alleged that she was employed to make the victims feel safe. She would join the meetings between young actresses and Weinstein, eventually leaving, so the two could be alone.
- Lucia Evans claims that Weinstein assaulted her during a business meeting. He allegedly forced her head onto his penis. She eventually succumbed to his force, leaving her feeling powerless and shameful.
- Like many victims of sexual assault, the accusers said that they were fearful Weinstein would retaliate against them if they came forward.
- When high profile actresses such as Rosana Arquette did complain about Weinstein, he allegedly removed them from projects or tarnished their reputation so that no one else would hire them.
- In the past, Weinstein bragged about being able to plant negative gossip about accusers in order to tarnish their credibility.
- While Weinstein has apologized for any pain he’s caused, he has denied any claims of non-consensual sex. He firmly believes that it was all consensual.
- Gwyneth Paltrow accused Weinstein of putting his hands on her and trying to go to the hotel bedroom for massages when she was 22 years old.
- Angelina Jolie accused Weinstein of making sexual advances towards her in the 1990’s.
Weinstein was recently fired by the company he co-founded and has apparently fled the country for a sex addiction rehab facility in Europe. In addition, his wife Georgina Chapman recently made a public statement to People magazine that she is leaving her husband of ten years.
Does this help you understand why most people never report sexual harassment? Now that the floodgates have opened, many women have the courage to bring their stories against Weinstein and other Hollywood stars.
Sexually harassed by your employer? Call Shirazi Law Firm for a consultation: 310-400-5891. Join us on the following networks for the latest legal news: